Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

July 4th

This is the first summer since we have been married that we have been in our own home and doing our own little 4th of July traditions. We have loved all the years past that we have spent with family, watching fireworks and going to parades, and last year we were at the cabin on the 4th, but this year was really something special.

We spent the morning doing yard work and then Patrick had to go into work for a few hours. But when he returned, we had a fun-filled, super-simple party. We made baked potatoes and Sesame Chia Chicken with Flag Fruit Pizza for dessert. And while I still have no flags or July 4th decorations (maybe next year??), we used our red-checked tablecloth and ate outside in the warm sunshine.



After dinner, I decided to engage the family in some good old-fashioned festivities. I planned 4 games, but we only had time for 2. First up was the three-legged relay race, and then we had gunny sack races. Let's just say that Tate and I had a blast. :) Easton was having a rough day and so was Maylie. They cried most of the time about one thing or another. Maybe next year they'll enjoy themselves more. :)


Cleaning up the kitchen took forever. (Is it just me, or does holiday/fun party clean-up feel like the aftermath of a natural disaster?) Then we gathered up quilts and a few books and headed off to Fireworks in a nearby town.

Sitting there, in a wide open park of a farming town, with just a few families scattered here and there and listening to the locals taking turns singing their favorite songs of America was ever so peaceful. I felt joy brimming up like liquid gold as we all cuddled underneath our queen-sized quilt and watched the sky grow dusky.

The fireworks started at promptly 10:00 and we all made wishes on our favorite fireworks. Maylie loved the purple ones, Easton's favorite liked any colorful ones that all exploded at the same time, and Tate liked the thunder-sounding ones. The show lasted exactly 11 minutes. Short and sweet and just perfect for our little family.


I really am so deeply grateful for this promised land of America that we live in and the freedoms we enjoy. The older I get and the more that I learn about the wickedness and evils that go on throughout the world (and even here in our own country and state), the more and more grateful I become for the blessings that Heavenly Father has given me. This nation is sacred. And it's protected--so long as we do not harden our hearts and strive to keep the commandments. In God I trust. God bless America, and may we ever be covenant-keepers and strong witnesses of our Savior Jesus Christ in all we do and say.

2 comments:

Savanah said...

Now that looks like a picture perfect 4th!!

k said...

Well said! What a perfect day! Love the quilt picture!:)